Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) based on a wildly popular fantasy action digital comics series backed by South Korean internet giant Kakao have sold out soon after launch on Wednesday.
- The NFTs, launched by Kakao Entertainment, are based on webtoon Solo Leveling, which has amassed a whopping 14.2 billion views globally since its launch in 2016.
- Two separate Solo Leveling webtoon NFTs, with 100 and 200 tokens respectively, were sold out shortly after release on Kakao’s NFT trading platform Klip Drops.
- The headliner of the NFT series, an animated rendition of the webtoon’s final issue, sold for 500 KLAY (US$685).
- Webtoons are a form of digital comics originating in South Korea intended for reading on portable devices.
- The industry generated total revenue of about one trillion won (approximately US$840 million) in 2020, according to the latest data available.
- Kakao plans another sale of NFTs based on the popular webtoon and web-novel series The Duchess with an Empty Soul, which is scheduled to go live on Jan. 22.