Bitcoin and Ether staged a rebound Thursday afternoon in Asia, with most other tokens in the top 10 cryptocurrencies by market capitalization following them higher in a tentative recovery from last week’s slump.
See related article: Markets: Bitcoin treads water, Ether Classic gets a bump, Cosmos gains on Kujira news
- Bitcoin gained 1.97% in the past 24 hours to trade at US$21,742.28 as of 4 p.m. Hong Kong, while Ethereum rose 4.87% to US$1,706.91, according to data from CoinMarketCap.
- Most of the top ten cryptocurrencies gained — XRP rose 1.79% and Solana moved up 3.88%. Cardano gained 2.62% and Dogecoin added 2.56%. However, all these tokens remain in the red for the last seven days.
- Ethereum Classic was the biggest gainer of the day in Asia, rising 11.46% to US$37.09, which is still trailing the token’s high earlier this month of US$45.51.
- Another gainer was Ankr, rising 11.33% to US$0.04061. It is the native token of the Ankr ecosystem which launched a new staking service earlier this month.
- Major Asia equity markets rose today, with the Shanghai Composite Index adding 0.97% and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index gaining 3.63%. Japan’s Nikkei 225 was up 0.68%.
- U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell will give a keynote speech at the Fed’s annual economic symposium in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, at 10 a.m. eastern time (10 p.m. Hong Kong) on Friday.
- Investors across all markets are waiting for any indication of how the Fed views the pace of inflation and what it may mean for the direction of U.S. interest rates
See related article: If successful, Ethereum’s Merge will cause a sea change in ETH supply and value