USD Coin (USDC) creator Circle announced on Thursday it will release the Euro Coin (EUROC), a redeemable stablecoin pegged to the euro, on June 30.
See related story: US$500 mln in USDC added to TRON DAO USDD reserve
- Ethereum-based EUROC will join Circle’s USDC, which is the world’s second-largest stablecoin with over US$54 billion in circulation, according to CoinGecko data.
- Stablecoins have come under fire since May after Terra’s LUNA and sister stablecoin UST wiped out an estimated US$40 billion within 48 hours.
- USDC is not an algorithmic stablecoin as UST, and Circle claims its stablecoins are backed by cash reserves and other forms of debt securities and bonds.
- EUROC’s full cash reserves will be held in euro (EUR) and follow the same regulated framework and reporting standards of USDC, according to Circle Chief Executive Officer Jeremy Allaire.
- Circle has been releasing monthly attestation reports drafted by a third-party accounting firm.
See related story: Circle’s head of policy calls CBDCs a ‘Preposterous Idea’: Consensus