The last block on the proof-of-work (PoW) Ethereum chain before The Merge was filled by a VanityBlocks non-fungible token (NFT) minted for 31.5 ETH, which was succeeded by the first NFT in the post-Merge proof-of-stake (PoS) chain minted for 36 ETH.
See related article: Fungible after all? Duplicates may disrupt NFT industry after Ethereum Merge
- A VanityBlocks NFT called “The Last POW Block” is currently being auctioned on OpenSea NFT marketplace with a running bid of 10 ETH, as of press time.
- The final block on the Ethereum PoW chain containing the NFT was successfully mined by F2Pool.
- VanityBlocks NFTs are designed to fill up an entire block upon minting, essentially allowing owners to claim pieces of the Ethereum blockchain.
- Meanwhile, Twitter user @0xTransition announced the minting of “The Transition,” a collection of 100 generative tokens featuring pandas, the first NFTs on the PoS chain.
- The auction for “The Transition” had a standing bid of 1.76 ETH, at press time.
See related article: Ethereum says Merge upgrade successfully completed, more to come