Vitalik Buterin will release a book on proof-of-stake consensus on Sept. 27, compiling various writings by the Ethereum founder over the last 10 years, according to his recent Twitter post.
See related article: Vitalik Buterin says he used Tornado Cash to donate to Ukraine
- The book, titled “Proof of Stake, The Making of Ethereum and the Philosophy of Blockchains,” will be available in both physical and digital copies. Buterin is also offering the option to buy a signed digital copy as a non-fungible token (NFT).
- While digital and print copies will only be available from the end of September, the signed NFT copy can already be bought, as buyers will receive a non-transferable NFT. When the book comes out, NFT holders will gain access to their signed digital copy as well.
- Buterin committed his share of the proceeds to Gitcoin Grants to support the development of open-source public goods.
- According to the book’s Gitcoin page: “These writings, collected from his essays before and during the rise of Ethereum, reveal Buterin to be a vivid and imaginative writer, with context from media studies scholar Nathan Schneider. While many around him were focused on seeing the value of their tokens rise, he was working through the problems and possibilities of crafting an internet-native world.”
- The book will be released just two weeks after one of Ethereum’s most important updates, “The Merge,” will transition the blockchain to a proof-of-stake consensus protocol.
- Beyond his contributions to the blockchain space, Buterin is also known for supporting charity. In April, the Russian-born Buterin donated US$5 million to Ukraine relief efforts. Last year in May, he donated US$1 billion worth of meme coins to a Covid-19 relief fund in India.
See related article: ‘The Merge’ can make crypto payments mainstream again: Vitalik Buterin