Cardano’s ADA edged out Bitcoin as the currency of choice in a Twitter poll posted by Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin on a hypothetical future without ETH.
- Buterin asked his 3.1 million followers on Friday what currency, aside from Ethereum, they would prefer to be used in 80% of all global transactions by 2035, with USD, Bitcoin, ADA and Solana’s SOL as the choices.
- Out of over 600,000 respondents, 42% said they preferred that ADA be the dominant currency in the future, beating out Bitcoin’s 38.4%, SOL’s 13.1% and USD’s 6.5%.
- ADA, the Cardano blockchain’s native cryptocurrency, was founded by Ethereum co-founder Charles Hoskinson and has been a consistent candidate in the “Ethereum killer” debate, which tries to identify rival blockchains that can potentially dethrone the market leader.
- ADA has rallied over 13% since Buterin’s Jan. 14 survey and was trading at US$1.42 at press time, leapfrogging over fellow “Ethereum killer” SOL to grab the fifth position in the crypto top 10, according to CoinMarketCap.
- The ADA rally comes after it lost over 50% of its value since hitting an all-time high of US$3.10 in September in the lead up to Cardano’s highly anticipated Alonzo upgrade, when ADA was a top three crypto by market capitalization.
- In a second Twitter poll posted by Buterin on the same day, TRON was the currency of choice among 51.3% out of nearly 360,000 voters, beating out BNB’s 22.8%, Chinese yuan’s 4.1% and NEO’s 21.8% of the votes.