Singapore-based cryptocurrency exchange Crypto.com has partnered with Korean drama distributor Studio Dragon to issue non-fungible tokens (NFTs) inspired by popular Korean drama series, including the hit Crash Landing on You, the exchange said on Monday.
See related article: Netflix K-drama hit Extraordinary Attorney Woo to launch NFT project with Polygon
- The pair on Feb. 8 plan to release the first batch of NFTs of special editions of Studio Dragon’s art toy DearRo based on two popular Korean drama series Crash Landing on You and Start-Up.
- KOSDAQ-listed Studio Dragon, a K-drama production and distribution company under Korean entertainment giant CJ ENM, said in the statement that it will showcase NFTs that introduce new Korean dramas every quarter.
- Crypto.com has been seeking business opportunities in the entertainment industry, and in August partnered with Korean entertainment agency Fantagio to pursue NFT projects.
- Major Korean music labels — including HYBE, which manages K-pop sensation BTS, along with SM, YG and JYP and Cube — have all announced plans to make forays into NFTs and the metaverse.
- In November, HYBE’s K-pop boy band SEVENTEEN integrated a metaverse experience as part of its Asia concert tour in Japan. The company also launched in October NFT platform MOMENTICA in partnership with Korean blockchain firm Dunamu.
See related article: NFTs and the music industry: K-pop’s new token economy