Finder.com CEO Fred Schebesta is offering AU$5 (US$2.85) worth of Bitcoin to every Australian who is fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
- Announcing the plan on Sydney radio this week, the self-made millionaire said he was looking for a way to contribute to the vaccination effort and thought this could be a way to help. Anyone who has already received two doses of available vaccine, or once they do, is welcome to apply for the Bicoin reward by downloading the Finder.com app and providing proof of vaccination.
- Finder.com is a comparison site that provides guides and information on a range of products and services. It provides industry analysis in Australia and internationally. One of its recent surveys revealed Southeast Asian countries were leading the world in terms of crypto adoption, and another showed the gender divide in crypto investment in Australia is narrowing.
- If every one of Australia’s more than 20 million people who are eligible for the vaccine applies, Schebesta could be on the hook for over AU$100 million (US$71.15 million), a figure he appears happy to pay. “Get vaxed, baby, and get your Bitcoin, baby, as well!” Schebesta said on air.
- The speed of the vaccine roll out has been an issue of contention in Australia as less than 30% of the population over the age of 16 are fully vaccinated. Supply chain issues as well as poor communication between the federal government and the states and territories have been blamed for the poor uptake. Vaccine hesitancy is also a factor — one Schebesta is hoping to address.
- For comparison, 62% of people over the age of 18 in the U.S. are vaccinated.
- Schebesta wrote an Op-Ed for Forkast.News in May on his price predictions for the market.