Crypto investing is still a male-dominated activity, but in Australia, the participation of women is growing faster than the men in the field.
From January to June this year, the percentage of Australian crypto investors who are women has grown from 7% to 11% of the total, according to a survey shared with Forkast.News by comparison site Finder.com.
- The survey of 1,012 respondents also found that 17% — by extrapolation, 3.3 million Australians, if the survey sampling is representative — currently invest in crypto. That number has increased in the past six months, up from only 12% of the total population in January. Conversely, the percentage of men who invest in crypto over this same period dropped, from 29% to 23%.
- Generation Z (people born between the late 1990s and 2010) is the fastest-growing demographic group to be into crypto, with 31% of respondents in this age group currently investing in crypto compared to only 15% in January. Proportionally, the total share of crypto investors who are Millenials (born between the early 1980s and mid-1990s) decreased over this time, falling from 29% to 23% of the total.
- Kate Brown, a personal finance expert at Finder.com, said in a statement: “It’s great that we’re seeing more women and young people choosing to invest in cryptocurrency. Historically, the world of cryptocurrency has been dominated by men. With strong long-term growth predictions, a gender gap in cryptocurrency investing could have implications for wealth distribution.”
- This follows a similar report published by digital exchange platform Kraken earlier this month which found nearly 40% of Australian Millennials would rather invest in cryptocurrency than real estate.