Leading non-fungible token (NFT) marketplace OpenSea has released a teaser of its long-rumored integration of NFTs on the Solana blockchain, now planned for April.
See related article: What is the Solana ecosystem and how is it fueling SOL’s stratospheric rise?
- OpenSea’s teaser video shared on Twitter on Tuesday morning Asia time displayed a series of community requests for Solana NFTs, accompanied by a caption: “The best kept secret in web3.”
- OpenSea currently only supports NFTs on the Ethereum, Polygon and Klaytn blockchains, and is the largest marketplace in the world with nearly US$24 billion worth of total sales volume.
- While most NFTs are on Ethereum, Solana is also home to some major collections such as Solana Monkey Business and Degenerate Ape Academy.
- Solana’s addition to OpenSea could pose major disruptions to Magic Eden, the marketplace that hosted over 90% of all Solana NFT sales over the past week.
- OpenSea’s move was anticipated since January 2022 when tech blogger Jane Manchun Wong tweeted evidence of OpenSea developing Solana integration and the blockchain’s Phantom wallet support.
See related article: NFTs enter ‘mini-bear market’ as buyers drop to three-month low