See related article: Alibaba Cloud launches service to build NFT marketplaces
- The project was first announced on AliExpress’ official Twitter account on Thursday. The post was later removed by AliExpress, but can still be seen on the Twitter page of its partner “the Moment3!.
- The Moment3! is an NFT project that plans to connect with real-world businesses and grant NFT owners benefits and exclusive rights beyond mere collectible values, according to the Discord channel of the project.
- On May 4, Shopping.io, a platform that allows its users to pay their purchases in major e-commerce stores with cryptocurrencies, integrated AliExpress into its platform. The two companies did not establish a partnership for the integration.
- AliExpress items can be purchased with multiple cryptocurrencies as payments via Shopping.io, including memecoin Floki which was added to the list on May 31.
- AliExpress is a global e-commerce platform owned by Alibaba Group. Although the company is headquartered in China, it does not sell to customers in mainland China.
- The Chinese government banned all cryptocurrency transactions in September 2021, and has issued multiple warnings on the risks of NFT speculation
See related article: China state media covers SEC’s lawsuit against Binance, CEO Changpeng Zhao
(Updates throughout the story to correct AliExpress’ role as a retail platform in the project.)