The record label conglomerate Warner Music Group (WMG) announced it will create a music-themed digital world in The Sandbox metaverse.
- WMG confirmed its partnership with The Sandbox on Thursday, expanding the music company’s venture into non-fungible tokens (NFTs) and the metaverse.
- The Sandbox is a subsidiary of blockchain unicorn Animoca Brands, with high profile partnerships with the likes of Snoop Dogg, Adidas and CryptoKitties.
- WMG’s move into the metaverse may present artists with new channels for fan engagement and virtual entertainment.
- The new virtual world called Warner Music Group LAND will act as a combination of a music theme park and concert venue, WMG’s chief digital officer Oana Ruxandra said in a statement.
- Music fans will be able to purchase digital real-estate in the form of NFTs called LAND, adjacent to WMG’s virtual park, in March 2022.