Singapore-based medical service firm Zuellig Pharma is using its blockchain-based medical tracking tool eZTracker to enhance vaccine transparency by flagging expired or mismanaged Covid-19 shots.
- The eZTracker system verifies the authenticity of vaccines and other medical products to improve supply chain transparency and prevent black market distribution of supplies.
- QR codes on product packaging can be scanned to verify information like the expiry date, temperature and condition through a mobile app.
- Falsified medicines can generate up to US$2.6 billion in annual revenue in Southeast Asia alone, according to the United Nations.
- While eZTracker launched in Hong Kong and Thailand in 2020 to help consumers track authorized drugs and aesthetics products, the blockchain tool is now being used to prevent accidents such as administration of expired Covid-19 vaccines.
- Hong Kong is currently experiencing its fifth wave of the Covid-19 outbreak, setting a daily record of 164 infections last Thursday.