The South China Morning Post (SCMP) has announced the launch of Hong Kong’s landmark Star Ferry Pier in The Sandbox metaverse, where visitors can experience historic moments through in-game quests.
See related article: Covid shuts cinema but Hong Kong gets backup from the metaverse
- The Star Ferry Pier in The Sandbox presents Hong Kong’s history dating back to the 1980s based on SCMP’s reporting on the pier.
- “SCMP’s 118 years of reporting and extensive library of photographs gave us the opportunity to breathe new life into historical locations in the metaverse,” CEO Gary Liu said.
- The Star Ferry’s virtual recreation is part of Alpha Season 2 from The Sandbox metaverse, which offers more than 35 new experiences throughout March.
- The Sandbox, backed by Hong Kong-based blockchain unicorn Animoca Brands, is boosting the city’s presence in its metaverse through numerous additions, including the construction of Mega City, a virtual hub of Hong Kong’s history and culture.
- Hong Kong’s second-largest theme park, Ocean Park, also announced last month that it is building virtual attractions in The Sandbox.
See related article: Who are the biggest players in the metaverse today?