Non-fungible token (NFT) Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC) #5383 sold for 777 Eth on Wednesday, worth some US$1.4 million, amid a crypto downturn.
See related article: Bored Apes — NFTs take over the planet | NFT Moments in History Ep. 11
- Following the sale, the floor price for BAYC on Thursday sank its lowest since March, hitting 69.69 Eth or just under US$130,000.
- Despite the high sale price, the golden-haired ape is only ranked as the 320th rarest ape, according to Rarity Tools.
- “I wanted to collect a golden monkey. 777eth is a suitable price. Yuga [Labs, the creator of BAYC] will be the first successful social [meta]verse,” said buyer and collector Vis.Eth in an interview with BAYC news outlet Bored Ape Gazette.
- BAYC is the second-highest selling NFT collection of all time, with over US$2.3 billion in sales since launching in April 2021.
- The sale of #5383 remains well short of the highest value BAYC ever sold, which was #8817 sold for US$3.4 million in October 2021 at a Sotheby’s auction.
- NFT sales numbers have steadily declined each month after peaking in January with over 1 million unique sales. August is on track to beat July’s figures, which were the lowest in 12 months.
See related article: NFT sales limp into August with a 25% drop from June to July amid crypto slump